Tuesday, March 11, 2008

People

I try hard to tolerate all sorts of people. I have no problem liking, respecting and even adoring people who are of different physical appearances, orientation, religion (well most of them... =)). But I have a really hard time liking people who have a pile of dog poop for personality. I can get past most anything except the following list, these people boil my blood and make me run for the hills:
-People who thrive on confrontation and making other people feel bad . I mean the type who go out of their way to see others cry, just because, with no provocation at all. I despise senseless confrontation, I can't for the life of me understand why it makes people feel good about themselves. (Note the "senseless" qualifier, sometimes confrontation is a great thing, but it absolutely should have a reason, any reason at really, not just "oh I think I am better than you so watch me hurt you")
-People who think they live on an island. I mean this metaphorically of course. These are people who think their behavior will in no way affect anyone else on the planet. I have news for you "islanders" EVERYTHING you do affects some other organism, be it human, ape, tree, crustacean, or even future living things. We live in an extremely interconnected ecosystem. Conscientious awareness is a spectacular thing, if you are not doing it, you should give it a try, it can make you understand the world better if you view it as an interconnected system. Once I realized this I became a much happier person, it makes everything you do have a purpose (that is if you choose to contribute in a positive way to the ecosystem, which can sometimes mean doing nothing at all). Being a part of something bigger than yourself is an awesome thing.
-People who practice violence as their ONLY means of portraying their thoughts, feelings or emotions. Hey, sometimes people need a nice kick in the ass when they are being stupid, but if punching someone in the mouth is the only way you can express yourself you are going to have some serious problems functioning on this little blue marble.

In the words of my very enlightened Uncle, "I like all kinds of people as long as they are good people".
Luckily I am one of those humanist types that thinks just about everyone can choose to be a good person (despite past transgressions). There are those who I don't have much hope for, but it is a very small number and I have yet to actually meet a person who fits this description, though I know they probably exist (i.e. Stalin, Hitler).

No comments: